INFO NOTE FOR PASSENGERS ARRIVING OR DEPARTING FROM RWANDA
Following confirmation by the Ministry of Health of the Covid-19 Omicron variant in Rwanda, identified through genomic sequencing of samples collected from travelers and their contacts, please note the updated information for arrival and departure from Rwanda, effective 10th January 2022:
a. All travelers arriving in Rwanda must have a negative Covid-19 certificate. The only accepted test is a SARS-CoV 2 Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) performed within 72 hours prior to departure (meaning travelers must be tested and get results within 3 days of their first flight). Other tests, such as Rapid Diagnostics Tests (RDTs), are not accepted. COVID-19 Test is not mandatory for accompanied children under 5 years.Incoming travelers eligible (aged 12 years and above) for Covid-19 vaccine are encouraged to be fully vaccinated before their travel.
b. All arriving passengers must quarantine for 24 hours at a designated hotel while waiting for the results at their own cost. A Covid-19 PCR test will be taken upon arrival and an additional mandatory PCR test performed on day 3 at own cost, from the arrival date, at a designated testing sites (Camp Kigali or nearest Provincial or District Hospitals for those out of the City of Kigali).
c. At the airport, the payment for Covid-19 test taken on arrival of 60 USD (50USD for covid-19 test and 10USD for specific logistics to the airport) will be done as per the indications of the passenger locator form. For passengers who opt for a cash payment at arrival, the balance will be given in Local currency (FRW). The passenger who wouldn’t use the payment methods on the passenger locator form may be required to pay again at arrival and claim for refund for any previous payment made.
d. In order to facilitate Rwandan citizens to test regularly for Covid-19 and to know their status, including Rwandans returning home for end of year holidays, the Government of Rwanda will subsidize the cost of Covid-19 tests as follows: • For the mandatory RT-PCR tests taken upon arrival, Rwandan citizens will pay Rwf 40,000 or 40 USD (30USD for covid-19 test and 10USD for specific logistics to the airport) instead of current cost of Rwf 57,200 for each test. • For the mandatory RT-PCR test taken on Day 3, Rwandan citizens will pay Rwf 30,000 or 30USD instead of current cost of Rwf 47,200 for each test.
INFO NOTE FOR PASSENGERS ARRIVING OR DEPARTING FROM RWANDA I 2 of 3
e. All arriving travelers must pay the costs of both mandatory RT-PCR tests of arrival and of Day 3 at Kigali International Airport but sample collection for day 3 test will be conducted at the designated testing sites.
f. All travelers arriving or transiting in Rwanda must complete the passenger locator form and upload the Covid-19 PCR test certificate before heading to the airport. Please see passenger locator form and list of designated transit hotels on www.rbc.gov.rw.
g. All travelers transiting for more than 12 hours through Rwanda will be screened upon entry and take a second Covid-19 PCR test on arrival. Sample collection will be conducted at the airport upon arrival and passenger will wait for the results at the designated transit hotel. The Covid-19 Test Results for transiting passengers for more than 12 hours will be fast-tracked so that passengers can get the results before their next flight.
h. All travelers transiting/connecting who are not leaving the airport for less than 12 hours will be screened upon entry and not required to take a second test (This is not applicable for transiting passengers by land border, in that case, passengers will be tested using RT-PCR Test and waiting for the results from the designated transit hotels before proceeding).
i. The Government of Rwanda has negotiated special rates at designated transit hotels for 24 hours quarantine period. Should a guest wish to remain in the hotel after completing 24 hours of quarantine and receiving negative test results, they are welcome to extend their stay at the hotel’s applicable rates. DESIGNATED HOTELS Once at the hotel, the process is as following:
1. Test results will be checked on RBC website of covid-19 results portal by using phone number entered while filling Passenger Locator Form and Unique code received when submitted Passenger Locator Form prior to departures or by SMS and/or email, and the turnaround time for results is 24hrs from the time a sample is collected. If the results are not out and you are beyond 24 hours, please contact the hotel reception or RBC Medical Team on Duty at Airport 24/7: (+250) 781415724 for quick follow up.
2.If a traveler’s test result is positive for COVID-19 (even if asymptomatic) while in Rwanda, they will be treated as indicated in the National Covid-19 Management Guidelines until they have fully recovered, at their own cost. We encourage all travelers to have international travel insurance.
1. All travelers departing from Rwanda must test negative for COVID-19. The only accepted test is a SARS-CoV 2 Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) performed within 72 hours before departure. The PCR test must be performed by the Rwanda Biomedical Center/National Reference Laboratory, Provincial or District Hospitals. Other tests, such as Rapid Diagnostics Tests INFO NOTE FOR PASSENGERS ARRIVING OR DEPARTING FROM RWANDA I 3 of 3 (RDTs), are not accepted.
COVID-19 Test is not mandatory for accompanied children under 5 years. We encourage travelers to book and pay for their tests at least 2 days prior to departure through the online platform available on www.rbc.gov.rw. Travelers are advised to check with airlines about the COVID-19 requirements of the final destination and/or transit countries. All Rwandans travelers eligible (aged 12 years and above) for Covid-19 vaccine departing from Rwanda must be fully vaccinated.
2. Travelers are not allowed to go to the airport without negative COVID-19 PCR test results, if the results are not yet out within 48 hours as mentioned above, please contact BIOS LAB HELP DESK on (+250) 787243836 or (+250) 788793446 or (+250) 784026239.
3. If travelers test results are positive for COVID-19 (even if asymptomatic) while in Rwanda, they will be treated as indicated in the National Covid-19 Management Guidelines until they have fully recovered, at their own cost. We encourage all travelers to have international travel insurance. REMINDER The preventive measures announced by the Ministry of Health must be observed by all, especially frequent hand-washing, proper wearing of face masks in public, and maintaining safe physical distance from others (at least one meter apart).
For more details about COVID-19 clinical management guidelines, please visit www.rbc.gov.rw.
EMERGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION
• Toll free number: 114 • RBC Medical Team on Duty at Airport 24/7: (+250) 781 415 724 • Email: email@example.com Once again, we thank you for your cooperation in the fight against COVID-19.
Let’s Work Together
Get in touch so we can start working together.